Sunday, September 27, 2009

TM Club Evaluation Speech Practice

To practice for the upcoming Division B contest, I arranged to be the evaluator for an Advanced Manual speech. It was from the Information Speech manual and this speech's goal was giving a demonstration.

The primary difference between a TM prepared speech and a contest speech is in a contest you have to figure out the type of speech is being given.

In an information speech, the message is more important than the messenger. The biggest problem with most information speeches is the tendency to mistake quantity over quality. In other words, valuing amount of information over clarity.

This speaker had a great prop and good visuals, which he used to great effect in the 1st half of his speech. Then he diluted the impact of his message in the 2nd half of his speech with too much abstract information. Abstract in that he did not relate the additional infomration back to the prop and visuals presented in the first half.

Since we had guests, I had to devote time to explaining that evaluating an advanced speech require that I offer more constructive criticism than normal. Therefore, I had less time than usual. Determining my strategy allowed me to priotize my comments, ensured that I communicated the most important points and that I stay within the time limit.

To help me with the upcoming Division B contest to held Octover 17th, my club then gave me a roundtable evaluation which was very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment