Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pasadena Jaycees Toastmasters Club Contest

Since this happened before I started this blog, this will be taken from what I can remember. The club contest was held August 26th.



There was one other contestant, Robert "Bob" Helbing. Bob is one of the founders of the club and is one of the club's best evaluators. I knew this was going to be a tough competition.

The target speaker, a club member, gave an information speech regarding going to the movies.

Bob was first and then me on the order of speaking. Unfortunate, because I was out of the room I missed Bob's evaluation. Fortunately, this gave me additional time to mentally organize my presentation while waiting to be called back to the room.

When you only have 2-to-3 minutes you have to decide which are going to be your most important points. This additional time was critical to the contest's result.

A key for me was backing up each of my evaluation points with a specific example, either through from the targe speaker's presentation or giving an illustration. For example, when doing a contrast of two points. I suggested pointing to the left when making a point and then pointing to the right when making the counter point giving a non-verbal gesture.

Our club contest used all the attending club members as judges by having each person vote on who they felt did the best job. Before the result was announced a round-robin roundtable evaluation was held where each member could make a comment or pass to the next member.

For myself, the constructive criticism was focused on being careful on not sounding patronizing and adding more "atta boys" to my evaluation.

The result was I beat Bob, primarily because my evaluation appeared better organized. It was pointed out that we had two contrasting styles, Bob's was more content-oriented and mine was more context-oriented.

On to the Area Contest in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment