Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Evaluating the Information Speech

I got to practice for the upcoming Division B Evaluation Contest by going to the Speakers Bureau meeting in Garden Grove.

The speaker I evaluated gave a 20 minute information meeting. The theme for my evaluation was presenting the information in a way that made it personal. In other words, make each audience member realize they had a problem or someone close to him/her that had a problem and that the information to be presented offered a solution.

For this speech, the information was on an Eastern method to relieve stress. To engage the audience in the beginning, I suggested asking two questions of the audience:

#1 Are you stressed right now?
#2 Do you know someone who is stressed?

What the speaker did was invoke statistics from a Gallup Poll regarding California residents and one of the reasons for the stats was stress. I pointed out this was too abstract. It also ran the risk of a listener not believing he/she was a part of the statistics mentioned. In other words, hey you're not talking about me so why should I continue to listen to you?

To recap my methodology:
#1 Figure out it was an information speech
#2 What are the main obstacles preventing that information from being received by the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment